Thursday, December 27, 2012

Chicken Patties (a savory strudel alike)

Posted by - Dixya @ Food, Pleasure, and Health



I can't believe Christmas went by so quickly and New Years is only a couple days away- WHAAAT.. I am still in denial and don't want to stop eating more cookies in the name of holidays! 

But at the same time I am excited to welcome 2013, a new year, new beginnings. Hope it will be another year full of happiness, success and good health. Lots of wishes from me to you and your family 

On any other day I probably would not have promoted this recipe - buttery, flaky chicken patties but c'mon its New Years - it deserves special attention; it comes just once a year - 365 days. 52 weeks. All I am trying to say warn you is - don't get too hooked because this buttery, flaky pastry sheets stuffed with flavorful chicken pieces are pretty hard to stop after your first bite. Even though every bite is so worth the calories, I usually save it for the special moments like these, a New Years gift from me to you!


...I love how these chicken patties take me back to middle school; times where I securely held on to my mother's hand and walked swiftly towards a small bakery after school that displayed colorful pastries, old-fashioned glazed doughnuts, different cookies, and patties. I occasionally craved for cream rolls but chicken patties & I were BFFs.


Still today, when I take a bite of this, I go back to a time where life's biggest concerns were chicken patties, more play time, and less homework!  So simple, so naive... 





Its like eating soft, buttery sheets with a spicy chicken surprise waiting inside but feel free to add other fillings of your choice: potatoes, mix veggies, paneer or whatever tickles your fancy! 


All you need are puff pastry shells, filling of your choice, and ten minutes of patience! I eyeballed all the ingredients, so please adjust it to your liking all you want.

Chicken Patties

Ingredients
boneless chicken tenderloins (may use chicken breast too)
milk
chicken tandoori masala
Miracle whip
hot sauce
salt & pepper

*note- i used puff pastry sheets but i highly recommend using shells.

Directions
- In a sauce pan, boil milk and add chicken with tandoori masala until chicken is cooked.
-Shred the chicken and place it in a bowl
-Mix in with more tandoori masala, hot sauce, miracle whip, salt and adjust the taste as needed

The main goal is to make sure the chicken is not too dry and adding Miracle whip/mayonnaise helped keep it moist.

-In a preheated oven @ 400F, place pastry shells/sheets for 10 minutes or so until it turns slightly yellow/brown and top pops up
-Place the fillings and put it back in the oven for additional few minutes until its evenly golden

Serve it hot and this recipe stores well in the freezer. Simply reheat it in a toaster oven and enjoy :)


See you all next year!

6 comments:

LJ said...

Oh that looks delicious! I like the idea of a savory strudel. Sharon

Lawyer Loves Lunch said...

Heck yeah! I ate chicken patties every day the last time I was in Karachi. I had a favorite bakery and everything. I'm surprised I've never made them at home but thanks for the fantastic reminder :)

Unknown said...

thanks guys :) its extremely easy to make @ home.

Carmine said...

happy new year 2013

Jenn said...

These sound delicious!

Manisha said...

I definitely have to try these. Yum!